Darryl A. Goldberg
24/7 assistance | Se habla español
PLEASE NOTE: our office remains open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are attempting to limit in person consultations and offering our clients alternatives such as telephone consultations or via other confidential electronic means. We are available for in person meetings in limited and appropriate circumstances. Please call our office to discuss your options and rest assured we are continually working and here to help.

Does your case have grounds for appeal?

If you were charged with a criminal offense and found guilty, it’s important to understand that a guilty verdict does not have to be the end of the road for you. Under some circumstances, you may be eligible to appeal the ruling—that is, to convince a higher court to review your case for some error in the trial proceedings in the hope that they will overturn your conviction or reduce your sentence.

To file an appeal, your case must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Plain error: If a decision was made in your case that goes against the law, this may be a reason to appeal. It is not necessary to have objected to—or even have noticed—the error during the original trial in order to file for appeal on these grounds. For instance, if a judge miscalculates the terms of a sentence, you can file for appeal if you discover this mistake after the fact.
  • Inaccurately weighted evidence: The “weight” of a piece of evidence is the measure of how believable or persuasive the evidence is. If a judge failed to allow important evidence that could have led to a different outcome in a case—DNA evidence, for example—this could be grounds for appeal.
  • Improper decision at the judge’s discretion: Throughout a case, a judge is often called upon to make rulings. The judge is expected to use their best, unbiased judgment in all rulings. However, if there is evidence that any ruling was unfounded according to the facts of the cases, then there could be cause to appeal.
  • Inadequate legal counsel: Anyone going to trial has the right to an attorney. However, if you have reason to believe that your attorney did not properly conduct themselves in your criminal proceedings—and you can demonstrate that this conduct led to an unfair trial for you—you may be able to appeal.

Establishing a solid argument for appeal can be a complex process. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you understand what options your case may quality for.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact us today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Connect with us

Darryl A. Goldberg
33 North Dearborn Street
Suite 1830
Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 773-793-3196
Fax: 312-782-7074
Chicago Law Office Map

Email Us